This is Professor Simon J Mitchell. Simon gave a presentation at EUROTEK.2012 entitled “Rescue of an unconscious diver from depth: the new UHMS guidelines”.
This was probably one of the most important presentations delivered at EUROTEK.2012 and it was the first time this talk was given to a European audience.
Aspects of the correct course of action on finding an unconscious diver underwater have been debated on various internet forums;
- Should you try to replace the regulator?
- Should you wait until a seizure is finished before ascending?
- What procedures should be in place for a rebreather diver?
- Should you try to complete some decompression on a decompression dive?
- Should you try rescue breaths in water at the surface?
We are delighted that permission has now been granted by the UHMS Journal Editor to allow the recreational and technical diving community to access this valuable resource.
The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) is an international, non-profit organization serving over 2,400 members from more than 50 countries. The UHMS is a primary source of scientific information for diving and hyperbaric medicine physiology worldwide. You can help support them by becoming a member and you also get access to the journals.
Follow this link to The Dive Forum to download the paper. Please do not upload this paper elsewhere because the UHMS are tracking downloads from The Dive Forum.